What is Labour Market Impact Assessment
When there is a labour shortage, Canadian employers may wish to hire temporary foreign workers (TFWs) to fill the job vacancies, and if you wish to do so, you may need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before you can hire TFWs.
The LMIA ensures hiring the TFW will not impact Canadians and Permanent Residents’ job opportunities.
Hiring without a Labour Market Impact Assessment
You may hire TFWs under the International Mobility Program, such as hiring under one of the Free Trade Agreements (FTAs).
Occupations covered by the FTAs are usually LMIA-exempted. However, you still need to submit an Offer of Employment to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for approval.
Further, if the TFW holds a valid work permit such as an open work permit or a work permit supported by an LMIA, you may not need an LMIA to hire them. However, you can still apply for an LMIA if you wish to support the TFW’s permanent resident application.
Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment
Currently, the following streams are available for LMIA:
1. High and low wage stream
3. Agricultural workers,
4. Foreign academics, and
5. Global Talent Stream.
Each stream has unique eligibility requirements.
What we can do to help you
To successfully apply for an LMIA, you shall ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements. If you have employer compliance issues, you must first carefully address them properly.
We personalize our services for you based on the information and circumstances of your application, which may include any of the followings:
1. Help you determine your eligibility,
2. If you are not eligible at the time you retain us, we will provide you with advice as to how to meet the eligibility requirements,
3. Help you identify potential compliance issues and address them properly,
4. Help you gather the supporting documents. If the supporting documents are not available, we will provide you with advice as to how to preserve them,
5. Provide other advice and instructions as needed, and
6. Complete, prepare, organize, and submit your application on your behalf.
Please note that we can also help you with the TFW’s work permit application
Book an appointment for an initial assessment today or contact us directly.